Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
CrossOver Healthcare Ministry is a non-profit organization which operates two free clinics in the Metro Richmond area that offer medical, dental, vision, medications, mental health counseling, social work case management, and community health education to low-income residents who do not have health insurance. Our clinics are located on Cowardin Avenue in South Richmond close to Downtown and Quioccasin Road in Western Henrico County.
Overall Responsibility: As a key member of the clinical team at CrossOver Health Care Ministry, the Psychiatric Mental Health (PMH) Nurse Practitioner will provide direct psychiatric clinical care, consultations, medications management, and other mental health interventions to patients.
Position/Title: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports To: Medical Director
• Provide clinical leadership at two clinic sites, especially related to mental health
• Strengthen CrossOver’s collaborative care model by bridging gaps between medical, behavioral, and mental health providers
• Provide mental health evaluations and psychiatric clinical care to patients, (both new and existing), including those recently discharged from the hospital those referred from the ER
• Assess, diagnose, treat, evaluate, and manage mental health care for patients in a collaborative care model with collaborating family practice and internal medicine physicians and nurse practitioners.
• Prescribe psychiatric medications, process refill requests, and manage medications and long-term treatment goals, titrating and discontinuing medications as deemed clinically appropriate.
• Counsel and educate patients on self-care behaviors which promote health, wellness and optimal functioning within the patient’s family and community, self-care skills, mental health treatment options, and medications management
• Work to improve health outcomes and overall quality of care for patients with mental health needs as part of the collaborative, integrated patient care team
• Provide mental health services in accordance with Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) core values and standard operating procedures.
• Develop and provide guidance and consultations for other clinical staff members, as well as volunteers and students, in regard to mental health and psychiatric care
• Collaborate with Counseling Coordinator to update and improve CrossOver’s Mental Health Program protocols, policies, and procedures
• Establish an explicit case review process for patients with mental health needs, streamlining internal collaborative consultation and treatment for said patients.
• Strengthen community partnerships with collaborating mental healthcare providers and treatment programs in order to streamline the external referral process and ensure continuity of care in the safest and most appropriate setting for the patient.
Hours: 40 hours per week. Evening and weekend work will be required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Exemplary leadership and communication skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, resulting in positive interactions with patients, staff, and volunteers
• Ability to work evenings and or weekend hours as may be needed to meet position requirements
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
• Knowledge of current and emerging trends in technologies, treatment approaches, practice issues, and other related issues in the mental health field
• Ability to serve as a consulting clinician for patients who have mental health comorbidities or diagnoses
• Ability to work seamlessly and professionally within an interdisciplinary care team including nursing staff, nursing support staff, other clinicians and pharmacy
• Ability to provide culturally competent education to patients and/or families about mental health and provide instruction on properly addressing and treating mental illnesses
• Ability and desire to collaborate with volunteers, including volunteers from the full spectrum of licensed health professionals
• Support the Mission of CrossOver Health Care Ministry
• Current, unrestricted license issued by the Virginia Board of Nursing to practice as a Registered Nurse
• Current, unrestricted license as a nurse practitioner with specialty certification, psychiatric mental health (PMHNP-BC).
• Additional certifications (i.e., family or adult nurse practitioner) a plus, but not required.
• Current, unrestricted prescriptive authority within the state of Virginia required
• Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred. Please see state department document for definitions of proficiency.
• Excellent computer skills, experience with EHR required.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE